Friday, November 18, 2011

Factoid Friday

Starting today and every friday (hopefully) I will be posting a fact about the human body. It will either be dealing with anatomy,nutrition, or another cool topic. I am learning way too much in my class at NPTI (National Personal Training Institute) to keep it to myself. I think the human body is amazing! The way we are made, with some of the coolest muscles and bones, just makes me love fitness even more. Our body is capable of so much!

Got Glutes?
Everyone likes to refer to their butt with some kind of different name. Booty, rear, tush, cheeks, fanny, keister, you name it. We could go on and on. But (no pun intended), the correct anatomical term is Gluteus Maximus. Now here's the kicker -- we have three Gluteus's! The Gluteus Maximus, the Gluteus Medius, and the Gluteus Minimus. So, essentially we have three butts. Nice, huh? Well, let me explain a little about each one, so you will understand what I mean.

The Gluteus Maximus is the largest and the main mover of our hip region. It is also most superficial, meaning closest to the skin. It helps us walk, squat and get up from the couch.










Next comes the Gluteus Medius and Minimus. These two muscles lay underneath the Maximus, with the Minimus being on the bottom (the deepest of the three muscles). So, basically on each side of your rear, you have a stack of gluteals. The picture will help you see what I mean. The Medius and Minimus work together and share the same actions. They both stabilize the body when you stand on one leg, aide in walking, and act as a helper to the Maximus.

I hope you enjoyed the first Factoid Friday! Please keep checking back for more! Now, go exercise those glutes! :)

Leslie


2 comments:

  1. Hey, Leslie, this is awesome! Congrats on your blog and everything you've accomplished. I've become an unabashed Jillian Michaels fan lately :) I love her no-excuses attitude. I grew up as the brainy, non-athletic kid and am finally discovering that it doesn't have to be that way. It's empowering! Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. I'm proud of & inspired by you.

    -Acree

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Acree! I love that you found this! How are you doing down in GA? Thanks for the support! And jillian michaels is pretty awesome and inspiring. She is my fitness mentor :) You are right, you can change your body if you want to! It might be a bit harder than some of your friends, but if you keep at it, it will happen! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete