Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Hi and Hello!

Hello to you,
As this is my first post, I would like to introduce myself and give you a little perspective on why I am here, creating and writing this blog. I will do my best to make this the condensed version :)

Fitness is my life. Fitness is what I love. As much as I don't want to admit that in writing, I have to. It's true. It's taken me well over 10 years to discover this side of myself. I am not someone who sailed through life thin, fit, and confident. Growing up heavy, out-of-shape, and very insecure wasn't fun. I know many of you reading might have been there, too. I am using this blog as a means to communicate with you that it IS possible to be fit AND confident (thin is a relative term), to change your life through exercise and knowledge. I will be blogging about many cool and controversial topics in the fitness and nutrition world. I hope you will find it informative!

My background: In 2005, my family and I went on vacation to Florida over Thanksgiving. As I was looking at our pictures, I saw someone I very much disliked. I couldn't believe how awful I looked and felt physically. I was 245 lbs. The most I had ever weighed. Soon after, I started watching The Biggest Loser on NBC. It was the catalyst I needed. Watching Jillian Michaels beat up those contestants was what I wanted. She helped them understand what brought them to such a valley in their life, and that inspired me. I was a biggest loser contestant sitting on the couch.

By March 2006, I changed my eating and I pushed myself through very basic workouts, which included the treadmill, and The Firm DVDs. It was so hard. I was completely and utterly out-of-shape. I eventually joined the YMCA and have since fallen into a community that I do not want to live without. They are supportive, encouraging, and have become my "fitness family." I encourage everyone to join a gym/fitness group/wellness center to have the accountability and friendship of people living the same lifestyle.

Through this journey, I have lost 50 lbs, gained confidence, gained much strength and muscle to do things I never imagined with my body. I workout 5-6 days a week and love it. I enrolled in the National Personal Training Institute in July to become a personal trainer. I want to help people like me, like the Biggest Loser contestants, understand their body and change their life through fitness. It's not easy and it's going to take hard work and dedication.

Nov. 2011 <--------------------Me in 2005

I've been there. I've done it. And it IS possible. Let me help you!

'Til next time,
Leslie

4 comments:

  1. This is awesome Leslie! I know how much work you've put in to this and I can't wait to follow your journey here in blogland!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's the first time I have seen a picture of you in your previous life before I knew you! It's an amazing transformation! The blog is great and I look forward to continuing to read it!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all! I really appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete