Sunday, November 20, 2011

What Are Your Fitness Goals?


What kind of goals have you set for yourself recently? Any? Have you reached them? Why is it so hard to actually stick to the plan to reach that goal?

I never set goals. I am not a goal-oriented person. In my experience, setting goals is way too intangible for me.
This all changed when I started school at NPTI. Fitness is something you can tangibly measure. This is why I love it so much. To be able to measure and see progress from when you started gives you great motivation!

Why not make health a priority this new year? What are you waiting for? I've heard a lot of excuses about why we can't finish what we start, but in starting to be more healthy and exercising - that's a lifelong process. Its a lifestyle change. Are you finally sick of not being able to run, play with your kids, tired of feeling bad, feeling uncomfortable at the gym, or not being able to walk up the stairs without huffing and puffing? A wise friend once said to me, "You will only change when the pain of staying the same is GREATER than the pain of changing." So true.

Two of my fitness goals from July are:
1) Do a real body weight pull-up, 2) lose 20lbs of fat and gain lean muscle

Are they realistic, attainable and measurable? yes and yes. By the way, I am still working on all of those goals. They don't come quick and they don't come easy. Doing a real pull-up takes time. I didn't realize there is a progression to building your back muscles, finding that mind/body connection with those muscles and then training them to hold your body weight. People, it works! I am almost there and it is exciting! I was so weak in my back when I started school that I didn't have the power to recruit my back muscles at all. It's such an awesome feeling when you see the difference!

Now, I will ask you to think about and make your fitness/nutrition/lifestyle goals for this new year. What would you like to change? And how are you going to do it? I would love to hear them if you want to share here with me!

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment