Monday, January 23, 2012

Educate Yourself! My Health and Wellness Book Recommendations...

Today I thought I would share with you what I have been reading/listening to about weight loss, fat, hormones, etc. This is where most of my information comes for my blog posts and how I view my body and health. Some of the books can be quite controversial, so I hope you will have your mind open to these challenging topics.

Jillian Michaels













I couldn't start off a book post without recommending three of Jillian's books. She knows her stuff! Every single one of these is a must-read if you want to understand weight loss, how to lose the last 20 lbs, and how your hormones play into weight loss.

Winning By Losing is a great one if you are just starting out with your weight loss journey and need basic information.
Making The Cut explains the difference between losing a large amount of weight and the last ~20 lbs. Jillian gives you a workout plan and meal plan to follow if you so choose.
Master Your Metabolism is a culmination of what Jillian has learned through the years on how your hormones can make or break your weight loss and how your body functions. She talks about her own experience with fad diets and how they ruined her metabolism, and also gives a thorough overview of each hormone.

Another resource that Jillian uses to share information is on her podcast on itunes. It is called The Jillian Michaels Show. I find this to be my favorite thing to listen to during the week. She is full of information, news, and hilarious moments between her and her producer, Janice. Please take a listen and see if you aren't addicted, especially if you are one of those people who don't like to read :)

Gary Taubes

Gary's book, Why We Get Fat, is one of the controversial books I was talking about above.
I think we have all grown up saying that, "eat less, move more" is the motto to live by when it comes to losing weight. Sure, I have seen it work for some people. Again, I stick my tongue out at them, BUT for the majority of Americans who have multiple health problems, hypothyroidism, diabetes, etc, it just doesn't work.
I have been reading this eye-opening book and find myself going back and forth between "eat less, move more" and his point of view. Just like my previous post, I still fall into saying that everyone's body is different.

Here is the book summary from Amazon: "He reveals the bad nutritional science of the last century—none more damaging or misguided than the “calories-in, calories-out” model of why we get fat—and the good science that has been ignored. He also answers the most persistent questions: Why are some people thin and others fat? What roles do exercise and genetics play in our weight? What foods should we eat, and what foods should we avoid? Persuasive, straightforward, and practical, Why We Get Fat is an essential guide to nutrition and weight management."


Sean Croxton

I just discovered Sean's e-book, The Dark Side of Fat Loss. It is similar to Why We Get Fat, in "debunking the calories-in, calories-out method of weight loss." If you are able to buy e-books and are up for a funny and mind-boggling, but educational book on fat and hormones, please buy this one!

He also has a great podcast as well, and if you have any kind of thyroid problem, I highly recommend listening to his podcasts. I heard one on thyroid disorders recently that blew me away because of the information was so helpful.

Find all the info on Sean and his radio show here: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/undergroundwellness


If you have the time, please check these books out. They are well worth your time.
Let me know what you think!

~Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment