Wednesday, January 18, 2012

EveryBODY's Different

I am sure most of you have heard the shocking news about Paula Deen. She has diabetes! Oh no ... not shocked? Well, me neither. I was reading an interview with her and it seems like she did the best thing for herself by waiting to make the news public. Anyway, this article brought up a great topic to discuss - how everyone's body responds to food in a different way.

If you read the article, one comment stands out in particular, "Type 2 diabetes is like "Russian roulette" when it comes to whom it's going to strike, Deen says. "It's about heredity. It's about age, lifestyle, race. I'm the only one in my family who has it. My grandmother cooked and ate like I ate, and she didn't have it."

If you read that and thought maybe she is right, she is. EveryBODY's different. How our body responds to food and exercise depends on genetics, hormones, our immune system, etc. This is just so wild to me. I have only begun to understand this principle. Paula talks about her grandmother being able to eat what she wanted, and while she lived in a time when they didn't have processed everything, pesticides, and other chemicals, her body was able to process and use food in a much different way than Paula's body.

I want you to think for a minute on how your body responds when you eat white flour, such as white pasta, breads, cookies, etc. Are you bloated? Do you feel tired? If you don't, you are lucky my friend! I can tell you that when I eat these things, I feel bloated and tired and many other things. I have stopped eating breads altogether because of my thyroid problem. My body is extra sensitive to certain foods and ingredients, and I would rather feel energetic and good during the day, than gain extra weight all the time because I can't process it. Anyone agree?

So, what kinds of foods do that to you? Have you ever taken time to notice? If you haven't, that's the first thing I want you to do.

Secondly, what "diets" have you tried? What works for me, may not work for you. Start researching all the different ways of eating. Atkins, DASH, Paleo, and Vegan, just to name a few. Let me be clear: If you want to change the way you feel, lose weight and CONTINUE to maintain those changes, this kind of eating MUST be a lifestyle change. I know that is hard for some people to accept. But, it is the truth.

I am not trying to say that how Paula Deen was eating didn't get her to this point. Sure, her body was overloaded and couldn't process the sugar and fat she was eating. BUT, there are so many other factors involved, and hormones are the biggest and most complicated piece of the puzzle. If your hormones are not in sync with each other, your body will not function properly. Some people are blessed with genetics that just let their body's zoom right along, they don't gain weight, don't have to worry about what they eat. I know MANY people like this. I like to stick my tongue out at them (:-P)

If you have a body like mine, don't let that get you down. I hope you realize you need to make changes. Do your research online, read books, ask friends, ask me!
Remember, EveryBODY's different!

Good luck!

~Leslie

1 comment:

  1. Leslie!I love this article. I wonder if you've heard of Dr. Beverly Goode-Kanawati? Her office is on Creedmoor (I think it just relocated). I cannot recommend her for everyone, but she does a lot of holistic and dietary testing; she also has her own line of "Bevko" vitamins. I was tested for food sensitivities, and found that I should not eat white potatoes and egg yolks. I feel so much better when I eliminated them from my diet!

    Word of warning, though: my insurance did not cover the doctor visits or tests, and I had to pay out of pocket. I only ever saw the PA, and the three times I saw her, she was running at least 45 minutes late (with one time 90 minutes late). So, I was paying out of pocket AND losing hourly pay. I have not been back since I got my test results 4 years ago!

    ReplyDelete