Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year, New Decisions

Happy New Year to you!

I was thinking today of what new decisions I will be making this year, starting tomorrow, in fact. This was mainly spurred on because of my apathetic workouts this month, my horrible eating this weekend - and practically every weekend in December. Even though I am almost a personal trainer and find eating healthy very important, I still struggle with my food and workout decisions every day. I am here to tell you that it is NOT easy. It isn't just something "I do" because I like it. Now, I actually do enjoy working out and seeing my body change, but that doesn't make it any easier to make good decisions regarding these things.

What kind of food/fitness decisions do you make on a daily basis? Or do they even cross your mind? Good for you if they are, because that means they are at least on your radar. And if they aren't, I hope you will at least be thinking about it.

Now, my New Year question to you:
What kind of change do you want to make this year, involving health and wellness? What kind of decisions will you have to make regarding your time management, family schedules, grocery shopping, budgeting, etc. to live healthier? Do you have any health issues that would improve because of a change in eating/exercise? Why is this important to you?

Most of you read my first post about my journey and know that I made the decision to change because I was so tired of living with myself. Making that decision is the first step in all of this. Everyday I decide what to eat, write it down, what kind of workout to do, and work on my fitness goals.

Another reason I choose to eat well and push myself during my workouts is because of my thyroid condition. I have hypothyroidism (which has become extremely prevalent these days) and that means my thyroid doesn't produce enough hormone, so I have to take a pill everyday to give me those hormones. It also means I gain weight quicker, I lose weight slower, and can feel tired and sluggish. It's been under control for a few years now and I have a good amount of energy. But the way I feel is directly related to what I eat and my exercise. If I eat crap, I feel like crap. My body is much more sensitive to certain foods, and no matter how many times I tell myself this, sometimes it just doesn't matter.

I am human and give into temptations, but the point I am trying to make is that you don't have to beat yourself up for giving into those temptations. Let yourself eat what you want at a party. But that is ONE time, not everyday. I let myself eat what I wanted the last two days and I'll be honest, I'm not that thrilled with myself, but I am okay with it because that is what I decided to do. It convinced me to get back into the swing of things tomorrow.
I still have goals to reach and I can't reach them by falling back into my "old ways."

What goals would you like to reach if you could turn your "old ways" into new ones??
I would love to hear them if you would like to share! :)

Good luck,
~Leslie

1 comment:

  1. Mine is to make a salad my meal once a day-either lunch or dinner. It may not sound like much, but it will be a lot more veggies than I am currently eating. I tried it for lunch two days in a row, and I noticed the afternoon slump doesn't hit as hard as when I have a sandwich and chips. It's a little hard to make myself stick with it when my coworkers are eating things that look way more delicious, but I really really really like not feeling tired after lunch!

    ReplyDelete