Tuesday, February 28, 2012

JUST DO IT: A Good Motto to Live By?

Wow, I didn't realize how long it has been since my last blog post. I apologize for my absence. There has been so much going on lately that I feel like I haven't even had time to be inspired to write a blog post! Anyway, hopefully this one will make up for my absence, just a little :)

JUST DO IT! Yes, this is the Nike motto, but it's also the motto I have come to live by in most areas of my life. In just three little words, this motto holds the courage for you to throw every excuse or fear out the window. What do I mean? Well, when you are making up excuses as to why you can't make it to the gym, or eat the healthy option, or do a certain exercise move, or even make a career change...I say, JUST DO IT, don't think about it, otherwise you will talk yourself out of it. I can't even count how many times I have done that. This will just keep us on the same stale path, wishing we could do better, instead of actually DOING better.

You might have just read those excuses and gotten to the last one, 'make a career change', and thought, huh? Doesn't she know that is a really big decision and something that can't be answered so easily?? Yes, I do. But, let me start by sharing with you a little more of my story.

If you have read my very first post then you know where I have come from, but not how I changed my career. I was a Technology Education major in college and never wanted to teach. I found out the hard way that there is not much you can do with that degree unless you teach. Thankfully I got a job at Butner-Stem Middle School (BSMS) teaching Exploring Technology to 6th-8th graders. I taught for 5 years until last June. It wasn't something I loved, but it was good for me and right for me at the time. I started getting in shape right around the time I started teaching, and as the years went by, I knew I wasn't long for the teaching world. I knew I loved fitness, but I wasn't sure how to make that my primary job. During my last year at BSMS I went through what I like to call a "very torturous" time of figuring out how to leave my stable job, stable pay, insurance, summers off, holidays, etc. to pursue fitness. It was a HUGE leap of faith for me to quit. And to the surprise of my Principal, I did. I found NPTI online and started in July.

What if I hadn't quit? What if I just stayed in a job that wasn't right for me anymore, one that made me anxious every time I got up in the morning and every time I went to bed at night? It was time for me to move on, and through a lot of thought and soul-searching, realized I am built for the fitness community. Now, I am not speaking ill of my job at BSMS. It was really hard for me to leave and I love my bosses and co-workers, but I knew it was best for me to get out and change for the better.

Like I said above, do you get stuck in a pattern of talking yourself out of things? I do. I find that I have to shut off that voice and literally make myself just do whatever it is. And afterwards, I am always glad I did. It might be hard to make decisions, but ultimately they will all work out - regardless of the actual outcome. You might realize a few months down the road that things didn't turn out how you wanted. What can you change? Were you fearful the whole time? If you were, could that have hurt your confidence in trying your new change/decision? Being able to rationalize the situation from all angles will really help you. Even if you have to write out the pros, cons, likes, dislikes, fears, anxieties first to help you really "see" it, then go ahead.

I realize that if you have a family, these kinds of decisions carry a lot more weight. But, I think the same principle still exists. And if you aren't happy, then your family isn't happy, right? :)

How much more will you enjoy life, if you love what you are doing? Take those chances, because otherwise, how will you actually know that you weren't supposed to go down that road?

In other words, JUST DO IT!

~Leslie
If you have any input, I would love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment